Monday 24 October 2011

Craft Council Origin at Old Spitalfields Market - September 2011

A few things from Origin in September - my top pick: new company Urban Chintz - silk scarves and shawls digitally printed with images of contemporary glass and steel Tokyo architecture and floral details. Great mix of jewel colours with acid brights. (despite the digital printing, and my quest is handmade things, I've blogged about it because I heart all things architecture-y)

This gold stag beetle by Lucy Sylvester took my fancy, especially as it looks like it was cast from a real live *dead* beetle - imortalised forever in 18ct gold plated silver, 16" or 18" chain. £270.
All items hand made to order in her Oxfordshire studio.


Something to satisfy my need for jewellery featuring little birds, by Alison Haddon

Christian O'Reilly's Alice chair, originally designed for his wife (who has a lower back injury) - how lovely to have a piece of furniture made to measure for you; almost as good as having your beloved build you a folly. Christian O'Reilly is based in Cornwall - all pieces are made using sustainably managed UK and European hardwood.



Overall, Origin seemed to have an exhibition vibe which may have been the intention of the organisers, although I think this was enhanced by some maker-designers not keen on photos being taken (I can understand this from a copyright perspective)...punters were politely looking at at all the beautifully crafted goodies, but I wonder how much was sold..? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...