Wednesday 21 March 2012

on a spree to New York - food

No spree is complete without a little snack or two. I didn't eat at all these places, if I had I would have been as a big as a jumbo jet by the time I left. In many cases I liked the shop fronts and fonts.
Actually, just looking at the evidence below, I did sample quite a lot of the food...
Yonah Shimmel Knish bakery on East Houston Street
 I had a mushroom knish on my first visit - I had to return to get a blueberry cheese knish on my last day (very tasty but I couldn't finish it, 'twas huge and very filling)
Moishe's Bake Shop on 3rd Avenue in the East Village, spotted when I arrived by cab from JFK, in a jet lagged haze, mighty relieved to have found it as the baked goods were very fine
Blimpie - home of the sub sandwich (presumably a reference to the shape of sandwich, rather than the size you will be if you eat a lot of these)
Russ & Daughters, East Houston Street, for delicious smoked fish
Nathan's - home of the Coney Island hotdog
yes, I did eat one of these - tasted pretty good at 11am - I was on a tight schedule, had to get to Park Slope in Brooklyn for the afternoon
Chock full o' nuts on 23rd Street (between 7th & 8th Ave)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...